It’s pumpkin season and although it’s super easy to grab a can of pureed pumpkin, I think it’s so satisfying to make your own sometimes!
When they’re in season, pie pumpkins are inexpensive to buy–I found two pumpkins for $4. Canned pumpkin can range from a couple of dollars to more than $4. You’ll get way more puree by making your own so take advantage of the season and make your own!
How to Make Pureed Pumpkin
- Blender/Food processor
- 1 whole Pie Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup water add 1 tbsp at a time.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Cut up the pumpkin into chunks. I typically cut it in eighths lengthwise and then halve those pieces across so they're big square-ish chunks.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for about 35-40 mins depending on the heat of your oven until you can pierce the pieces easily with a fork.
- Once cooled, cut off the peel and cut into slightly smaller chunks.
- Add to a food processor or blender*
- Add a bit of water (about 1/4 cup) and process until smooth. Add a bit more water a tablespoon at a time if you feel you need more.
- *If you don't have a food processor or blender, you can do this in a bowl with a bit of water and a potato masher. You'll have to work those biceps and work that elbow grease, but it should work!
That’s it! You now have pumpkin puree to use in your baking!
OR you can just buy a can next time you’re at the store… 😃