It’s pumpkin season and although it’s super easy to grab a can of pumpkin puree, it can be so satisfying to make your own.
When they’re in season, pie pumpkins are inexpensive to buy. I found two pumpkins for $4 at the local market. Canned pumpkin puree can range from a couple of dollars to more than $4 per can. You’ll get way more pumpkin puree by making your own so take advantage of the season.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin
You might not realize it, but pumpkin has loads of health benefits which makes it an excellent food to eat all winter:
- High in fibre: Get 1/4 daily allotment of fibre per cup of winter squash like pumpkin
- Ten percent of daily recommneded allotment of Omega-3 fats which are amazing for heart and brain health
- High in A, B, C, E and K vitamins
- The rich orange colour of winter squash like pumpkin is a result of carotenoids (which convert to Vitamin A)
- Excellent for blood sugar balance because of it’s slow release carbohydrates.
How to Make Pureed Pumpkin
- Blender/Food processor
- 1 whole Pie Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup water add 1 tbsp at a time.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Cut up the pumpkin into chunks. I typically cut it in eighths lengthwise and then halve those pieces across so they're big square-ish chunks.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for about 35-40 mins depending on the heat of your oven until you can pierce the pieces easily with a fork.
- Once cooled, cut off the peel and cut into slightly smaller chunks.
- Add to a food processor or blender*
- Add a bit of water (about 1/4 cup) and process until smooth. Add a bit more water a tablespoon at a time if you feel you need more.
- *If you don't have a food processor or blender, you can do this in a bowl with a bit of water and a potato masher. You'll have to work those biceps and work that elbow grease, but it should work!
That’s it! You now have pureed pumpkin to use in your baking.
Get more recipes here!
Follow me on Instagram for more inspiration.
Free Guide + Simple Recipes!
Get my Free Guide: 3 Tips to Make Cooking at Home Easier + Easy Recipes Meal Plan
Thank you for subscribing! Your free guide and recipe booklet is on its way!
Something went wrong.