These days I’m trying *really* hard to control my grocery bill and with that comes using what I have on hand to make food!
I made banana bread on the weekend, but everyone ate it (how rude!), so I needed something else for a snack this week.
I didn’t have bananas, but I did have apple sauce!*
I did a quick search for “healthy apple sauce bread” and of course I came up with recipes with loads of white flour and white sugar so I decided to adapt a recipe to make it a bit more healthier and it worked!
Here’s my recipe that was adapted from one I found on All Recipes. And wow it smelled so good!
Fall and apples what more could you ask for? 🍎
Easy Snack Idea! Apple Sauce Bread
- Loaf pan
- parchment paper
- 1 – 1 1/4 cups apple Sauce (or pear puree)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar .25 cups would work ok too
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted extra virgin olive oil is ok here too
- 2 eggs whisked
- 3 tbsp oat milk any nut milk would do
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a loaf pan with parchment (or coat with coconut oil)
- Mix together dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients (EXCLUDING coconut oil*) in another bowl. If you're using olive oil you can add it in with the wet ingredients. See note if using coconut oil.
- Combine the dry with the wet and mix well.
- Add coconut oil and mix well again.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 mins or until toothpick comes out dry when tested.
- *the reason I added the coconut oil last is because it tends to solidify when it hits the other wet ingredients leaving you with clumps of coconut oil in your batter. The oil mixes better when you mix it with everything after.
*You can adapt this recipe for any puree. I have also tried it with pear sauce (three pears blended to make puree) and it was so moist! I’m sure it would be delicious with pureed pumpkin and pureed sweet potatoes too!
It’s the perfect snack!