I’m learning something in my old age.
If your kids like a particular food you make, make it again.
You would think this is an easy thing to learn, but the thing is that I’m an adult who gets bored quite easily.
I experiment and test foods and recipes all of the time and I rarely follow recipes to a T.
The adults in the house love the variety, but the kids complain a lot about dinners and snacks because it’s just not quite what they asked for.
“Why did you have add that to the recipe?”
So when I made some muffins from Dishing Up Dirt and my daughter liked them I knew I had to make them again.
(The silly thing is that I changed them ever so slightly from the first time I made them… but the results were deeelish I had to share.)
I made quite a few changes to the original recipe which is why I’m sharing it here, but the inspiration came from Dishing Up Dirt so I wanted to make sure I gave proper attribution.
Here’s the recipe and I really hope you make them! They are a winner.
Cinnamon Walnut Muffins (GF + Vegan option)
- 1 cup oats I used rolled oats. Quick cooking oats would work
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend* I used Bob's Red Mill 1-1
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom optional, but delicious
- 1 banana mashed
- 1 egg** whisked
- 1/2 cup nut milk oat milk is fine too
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven of 425 degrees and line a muffin tin with parchment paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl add all of the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana and then add the rest of the wet ingredients. Mix again.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Add chopped walnuts and mix again.
- Fill the muffin tin with the batter and bake for 16 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes and then enjoy!