Are you ready to break out your slow cooker now that the weather is getting cooler?
Personally, I think it’s an underrated kitchen tool. Right now it’s getting a backseat to the Instant Pot, but my firm belief is to use what you have on hand.
If you have a slow cooker taking up space in your kitchen, you might as well use it!
If you need a bit of inspiration, I have a few tips to get the most out of your slow cooker and slow cooker recipes.
- Sometimes recipes dry out and you wonder what you did wrong, but cooking times vary depending on the size of your appliance. I have a smallish machine so usually 4 hours on high is the right amount of time for most recipes but a larger appliance will take longer.
- Utilize the “Keep Warm” feature. This is really helpful if you’re working at home or if you have a fancy machine that has an automatic “Keep Warm” feature. Using the Keep Warm feature enables you to prep and cook the meal when you have time, but keeps it warm during the day so it’s ready when you’re ready to eat.
- If you have a large appliance try preheating it first. Think about it like a small oven that needs to be warmed up before the cooking starts. This will also help with the cooking time.
- When cooking meat, take it out of the fridge at least half an hour before you cook it. It helps to bring the temperature of the meat to room temperature which then helps with even cooking.
- Most food made in a slow cooker tastes best the second day. If you’re going to make a big batch of chilli, make it a day in advance. The flavours will meld together and taste delicious when you’re ready to eat it the next day.
- If you have time, brown bigger cuts of meat before adding them to cook. This will help to add an extra level of flavour to your meal.
- Double batch your recipes and freeze them. This is really using your time wisely because using a slow cooker is mostly hands-off time. You’ll thank your past self for making a bigger batch of food for future meals. Especially on those rushed nights!
I hope this helps you to get inspired with your slow cooker. Get it out today and use it all season!
P.S: Follow me on Instagram to get weekly tips and tricks!
Free Guide + Simple Recipes!
Get my Free Guide: 3 Tips to Make Cooking at Home Easier + Easy Recipes Meal Plan
Thank you for subscribing! Your free guide and recipe booklet is on its way!
Something went wrong.